The Grand Canyon IMAX® Theater – It Doesn’t Get Bigger Than This
The Most Spectacular IMAX® Adventure of All
Fly like an Eagle – soaring over the rim of the canyon and dive into the depths of the craggy canyon. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Colorado River and literally sense the raging currents surrounding you as the film makes you feel like you are a part of the excursion. Experience the history of the Grand Canyon and marvel at the amazing scenery – delivered to you in a non-stop thrilling filmed adventure complete with realistic sound and the sensation of motion.
The Grand Canyon Visitor Center is home to one of the first IMAX® theaters ever built – and is a giant six-story movie screen hosting the “Grand Canyon Movie” in an amazing 12,000 watts of digital surround sound – all in a comfortable, air conditioned theater that can seat up to 488 people.
The “Grand Canyon Movie” is one of the longest running IMAX® films in one location and over 40 million visitors have experienced the amazing adventure on film at the Visitor Center.
Many tourists wind down after one of the hiking guided tours with a visit to the movie theater – or after eating lunch in the Explorer’s Café Dining area. As a featured stop on many of the bus tours, our theater has housed large group tours as they experience the Park’s amazing mysteries before heading out on Helicopter Air Tour, hiking itineraries or on their own rafting expeditions.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE IMAX® GRAND CANYON MOVIE THEATER
- One of the first IMAX® Theaters built
- Comfortable seating for up to 488 guests – plus extra access for up to 8 wheelchair guests
- The main theater shell is 56 feet above ground – the remainder is 12 feet below the grade
- The screen is an amazing 60×80 feet
- The Theater has averaged 125 people per show, 12 shows a day, 365 days a year, for 20 straight years
- The Theater is being considered for a Guinness Book World Record for the longest running IMAX® film at one location
- Over the years other amenities were added on to the theater for the benefit of the travelers to the Park
Consider us as your one stop concierge desk for the Grand Canyon South Rim. We look forward to making your Grand Canyon experience unforgettable!